Freeduc-WIMS features the service
This appliance is a web service, which can be found on many public servers, like Université Paris-Sud, which provides to its users tens of thousands inline exercises, with on-the-fly changed contents, every time one gets an exercise.
Why a web service from a USB stick?
Embedding a complex web service on such a fragile component laike a USB stick may look ridiculous, and as a matter of fact it would be a nonsense to run such a service for thounsands of users, when such an unprotected device is in use.
However, installng WIMS on a USB stick is technically possible, for the following reasons:
- Wims relies on a compact and very efficient code;
- The OEF language which is used to develop exercises is very powerful, so the source of every exercise is compact;
- We can do it, so we should. Why not?
What to do with WIMS on a USB stick?
When we can have a WIMS service inside our pocket, ready to run on any machine, here is what we can do:
- We can make tests and trials, develop a new module on a secure platform, before its publication on a public server;
- We can make a demonstration on-the-fly, securely, with whatever computer, be it connected to Internet or not;
- We can run a complete WIMS service, during a few hours, in any place, even when no connection to Internet is possible, for example for a training session. Please notice that results of the exercises will be kept on the USB stick, so such a running mode is valid for exams. Here are examples of local area networks which are not connected to Internet, or weakly connected:
- Computer rooms in a countryside classroom, in a hospital, in a prison;
- Computer rooms in an educational institution which strongly filters the communication;
- Exam rooms;
- The WIMS service can be clones completely from a USB key to another one in a few minutes (with a low level copy software);
- We can train ourselves and other people to administrate a WIMS service, which would be impossible to do with a public active WIMS service.
For other USB sticks with more general profiles, see Freeduc-USB.
How to get a Freeduc-WIMS USB stick
- version KnoWims-7.5.0 (December 2015); this one allows us to emit the service WIMS by WIFI; the server acts as a hotpoint.